In my yoga classes I draw in teachings from the Tantric Shaivites. Many of my student-friends have asked how or where to learn more, and this weekend is the perfect time to start to dive deeper into your own studies! My incredible Tantric Shaivism teacher, Christopher Tompkins, is partnering with my ever inspiring root yoga teacher, Shiva Rea for a rich online offering that starts this Sunday! If you can’t study with Chris or Shiva in person, I strongly recommend their valuable online offerings!
Here’s a little bit about the offerings
In all source Tantras, Chakras played a specific and pivotal role in the daily performance of the innovative Yoga Vinyāsa (‘Sequence of Yoga Practices’) that defined the Tantric tradition (ca. 500-1400 A.D.).
Until now, our understanding of Chakras derives largely from a relatively recent translation of a 16th century ‘Hatha Yoga’ manual based on Tantras written centuries earlier. Unfortunately, it does not contain the core Vinyāsa of Yoga practices that informs its own chakra system, the sole function of which was to serve as an internal guide for this missing practice. As a result, the chakra system known to us today is effectively useless without it.
Drawing from dozens of un-published Tantric texts, in this course Christopher Tompkins will finally reveal the critical role that Chakras played in the powerfully innovative Yoga that defined the Tantric tradition (ca. 500-1400 A.D.), one that inspired the embodied vinyāsa of our practice today.
‘The source power (Śhakti) who fuses together the sun and moon into fire is to be envisioned in the shape of a ‘Coiled’ (Kundalini) sprout within the region of the heart.”
–Kālottara Tantra, ca. 7th century, A.D.
- A history of the 1,200-year evolution of the various Chakra Systems
- Solstices, Equinoxes, and Seasons the subtle body microcosm in Tantric Yoga.
- The forgotten role of Chakras in the Tantric Yoga
- Ucchāra (‘Sonic Ascent’ of Kundalinī) the Core Practice of Tantric Yoga as revealed in Shiva Rea’s new book, ‘Tending the Heart Fire’
- The Pivotal Role of Kundalinī in Tantric Yoga Cultivating the Fire of Liberation
- Anāhata The Forgotten meaning of ‘Unstruck’ sound in the Heart Chakra
- Bīja (‘Seed’) Mantras and their critical role in Tantric Yoga (they are not ‘lam, vam, ram, yam, and ham’)
The ‘Chakra System of the Universal Mother,’ a priceless find, is exquisitely preserved on a beautiful scroll, was re-discovered in 2012 by Christopher Tompkins in Kashmir. The Jagad Mātā Scroll (ca. 13th century) pre-dates all translated sources on the subtle body currently available. It contains a rich tapestry of empowering chakra symbolism omitted in all sources for the chakras currently in translation, and takes us far deeper into the known chakras (mūlādhāra, svādhisthāna, maṇipūra, anāhata, viśuddha, and ājnā) than any text available in translation today.
- An extraordinary journey into the exquisite subtle body playground of a forgotten Matriarchal transmission
- The original daily Yoga Sādhana (practices) specific to the Chakras known to us, lost to the West until now
- The deepest and most comprehensive Immersion into the Chakras ever presented to the West, including crucial Chakra attributes lost to us before now
- The ‘Mother’ Goddesses of the Chakra Petals Unveiled – an extraordinary sādhana of Cultivating our Inner ‘Powers’
The Chakra Vinyāsa of the Goddess begins (online) this Sunday.